One of the most common questions we get from creative business owners who are thinking about growing a team is, “But how do I know if I’m ready to build a team?” This is the very first mindset hurdle you need to jump— figuring out how (and even IF) a team is right for you and your business.
Disclaimer before we dive in: Building a team is NOT for everyone.
If you look within yourself and your business, there are characteristics that can help you discern whether or not it’s a good idea to start working on building a team. Keep reading to find out what those are!
How to Know if You’re Ready to Build a Team
When it comes down to it, the only significant signs that a team is definitely not in your cards right now are all related to your *mindset*. There are fears and objections that, naturally, are going to arise! If you’ve never had any experience at all with outsourcing, then it’s perfectly understandable why these hesitations would occur. With that said, these are the tell tale signs that building a team just isn’t right for you.
Building a team is NOT right for you if:
- You never see yourself moving away from doing all the client work
- Your business isn’t bringing in consistent enough leads
- You are incapable of building trust with others
- You want to have your hands in every single detail of your business, forever
These hesitations can be overcome. In fact, they’re expected if you’ve never had any experience with outsourcing. However, nine times out of ten, you have outsourced one way or another. Have you ever worked with a CPA to help with taxes? What about a graphic designer to create an irresistible brand? Partnered or collaborated with other vendors? If so, you’ve already had experience working with others!
Now, what about knowing if a team is the right fit for you? Spoiler alert: We’d bet that you’ll be nodding your head in agreement to 100% of this list.
Building a team IS right for you if you:
- Want to make more money in your business, without having to take on more work yourself
- Desire to follow a new passion in life, without sacrificing your revenue
- Want to successfully sell your business someday
- Like the idea of building someone else up, leading, and teaching
- Want to be able to take some significant time off in your business
- Want the freedom you’ve dreamed of when you started the business
When you take a good, hard look at those two lists, where do you see yourself falling? For some people, right now isn’t the right season to start building a team. However, for many business owners, you need to be preparing your business for the future. The best time to start prepping your business to hire is when you’re at 40% capacity or higher.
With the 12-week Building Your Team Intensive, we can help you with that preparation. Even if you fall into the category of “not ready” for a team, the first couple of weeks we’ll be helping you completely flip your mindset around. We’ll also teach you how to create SOPs, step into a leadership role, find and interview talent, set healthy expectations and boundaries, deal with accountability, manage a team, and more!
If you want to learn more about the Intensive and apply, you can head right here!